EPA
![]() |
| This is a picture of the before and after of the spill. |
The EPA or Environmental Protection Agency went to Colorado to perform a "clean up operation." While on their clean up spill operation, they accidentally released 3 Million Gallons of oil into the Colorado River and it is seeping into other Western Rivers! They claim that they "misjudged pressure in the water" and that is how they accidentally hit the rig. The water is now full of dangerous amounts of lead and arsenic and they are turning the water yellow (as you can see above). So what does this mean for the people that depend on the water from the Colorado River? This water is now moving through New Mexico now, and is continuing to move. In New Mexico they are testing for hundreds of different metals in the water. There is an investigation going on because how could the EPA, the Agency to be the ones expected to clean up this mess, not clean it up? In the map below you can see where this water has traveled. In the Colorado River, where it originated the coloration of the water is starting to get back to normal, but that does not mean that it is continuing to move or that this flow of water is becoming less integrated with metals.
![]() |
| This is a map showing where the water is flowing and expected to flow. |
Syrian Crisis
![]() |
| These are refugees trying to escape Syria, they are all following the train tracks to the barb-wired fence at the end. A drone took footage of these refugees walking. |
What will Obama do about it? Is the big question here. There are no obvious answers here, but action must be taken. To my surprise this situation does not just involve Syria. It involves Russia, Iran, Saudi Arabia and the United States. In Syria there are many different religious organizations and countries around Syria are being difficult to cope with, which just amplify the complexities of this situation. The United Nations was quoted on usatoday's website, "4 million people have fled Syria since 2012, and he number has increased since Assad (their ruler) has begun using chemical weapons in 2013." This will cost a whole bunch of money to get these refugees here, and it will also take a lot of time. To get into America these Syrians will have to go through a whole process just so they can live here. It is a tough situation to try to come to a conclusion on. I could not imagine living in a country where all I wanted to do was escape. A place where only hatefulness, and pain existed. I would want someone, anyone to come and save me and to get away from a world of pain. The first people I would think of to help me, would be someone powerful and in charge. I would think of America.
Donald Trump
![]() |
| This is a quote from Paul Thomas who writes for the New Zealand Herald. |
Trumps new enemy
![]() |
| Miss Alabama at the Miss America pageant receiving flowers for coming in fourth place. |
Trumps new enemy seems to be Miss Alabama, who finished fourth in the Miss America pageant. She said in one of her speeches that Donald Trump would leave the "GOP absolutely terrified." This deemed to be her most memorable thought all night. She said other things like: "I think Donald Trump is an entertainer, and I think he says what's on a lot of people's minds." "But I think the Republican Party should be absolutely terrified of all the attention that he is taking from incredible candidates like Jeb Bush and Christ Christie who could do absolutely do the hob of president of the United States." She is much like Trump, in the sense that she will say what she in thinking, and give her honest opinion. I give her major props for saying her true opinion on live television and in front of millions of people, and not give uncontroversial answer. She does have evidence to back up her statement! Other republicans believe that Trump is taking up too much of the spotlight, Trump said to one of his contenders, Carly Fiorina, "some comments are made an an entertainer" and this was when he was defending his comments about GOP. I do not watch the pageants because it seems like a bunch of unintelligent girls wearing crowns and long dresses and answering questions they do not have a true opinion on, but I am proven wrong by Miss Alabama's statement and I am proud that she represented our state- even if I do not agree with her opinion.
Royalty in the White House!!
![]() |
| This is the first lady with her daughter posing with the King and Queen of Spain. |






Meredith, you are doing a great job with your article summaries. They are very thorough and enjoyable to read, and include a nice range of topics! :)
ReplyDelete